Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday

Notice the broken glass cemented to the top of the wall.
Matt thought that would be a perfect YM’s activity.
Going to church in another country is always a highlight. The branch in Lilongwe was no exception. They had a permanent structure - a converted house in a nice neighborhood-- with plumbing and electricity. There were Elders serving in the branch, and about 40 members attending that day. Our Nu Skin group made for a packed house (literally). Luckily, Matt grabbed some bread from our hotel buffet breakfast, and a bottle of water, so that there would be enough sacrament for everyone.

Inside the chapel.

Did I mention that Marla Maples & Tiffany Trump were on our trip?
They joined us for church as well.
Branch President, his wife and child.
We thought they were asking for a photo with us, (so we did that first)
but in fact they were wanting us to take a family photo of them.  I’m glad we were able to figure that out, eventually.
We were able to print the photo at the hotel and have someone take it to them.

Girl walking in the neighborhood where the church is.
The first speaker in Sacrament meeting was a 14 year old boy named Courage. His name was a perfect fit. He didn’t have an ounce of nervousness addressing the congregation. He spoke on faith, and gave an excellent talk. The second speaker was the Branch President’s wife. She was harder to understand, but had a beautiful smile, and she kept smiling the entire talk. I was really impressed to see the church so well-established here. We later learned that Malawi will soon be splitting off of the Zimbabwe Mission, as it is growing very fast.

2 comments:

  1. Love the BP's tie and his wife's outfit - what a beautiful family! I love going to church in a foreign place as well - it can give you such a great perspective on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I loved this part extra too! Bishop Samuelian and an AZ parent of a Zimbabwe Elder also started a charity there. Bishop S is now over a singles Ward so I rarely see them.

    so glad I am getting to read this. xox, Mom

    ReplyDelete